Saturday, July 10, 2010

Packing Party

Today we met as a team to pack supplies for our trip. We each brought a suitcase and loaded them with items for surgery, pharmacy, PACU, and pre-op. We stuffed and crammed as many items as we could to attempt to get to the limit of 50 pounds that the airlines allow. In many bags we were able to stuff in beanie babies and other stuffed animals to give the children after their surgeries. I have fifteen lists, one for each bag, to enter in to the spreadsheet we need to have available for customs to itemize all the items present in each bag. Each of us are responsible for the bag that we packed to bring on the trip with our primary bag. I am hopeful that my main bag will be nowhere close to 50 pounds, as lugging 100 pounds of luggage through the airport does not sound pleasant. But, knowing my propensity to be over-prepared, I am sure I will over-pack and be resigned with the maximum weight allowed.

Now begins the next two weeks of finalizing what I plan to bring with me. I still need to buy souvenirs for our translators and driver while we are there. I plan to bring items for the kiddos, too, so any ideas from anyone is more than welcome. The area we will be in is high in the Andes mountains, and temperatures will range from 50 to 70, so the majority of the clothing will need to be geared towards our early spring or fall type weather. Thankfully, it is not the rainy season, so we will not need to worry about that. Two more weeks before the trip is in full swing, so the posts will be sporadic until we are on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment